From the West Virginia Department of Commerce
* Helmet use is mandatory. Not wearing a helmet is against the law in West Virginia.
* The Blood Alcohol Concentration legal limit in West Virginia is .08%.
* Weather conditions may vary with elevation. Even when it's warm and dry at lower elevations, cooler temperatures and precipitation may occur at higher elevations. Pack appropriate clothing for riding over mountainous terrain.
* Be visible to other motorists and give yourself plenty of space as you ride.
* Dress for safety. Wear a DOT-approved helmet and eye protection.
* Wear bright clothing, long sleeves, gloves, pants and boots.
* Constantly search the road for changing conditions and obstructions.
* Signal your intentions to other motorists well in advance.
* Perform a bike check before each ride. Tires, Controls, Lights, Chassis, Oil and Fluids
* Watch for wildlife on roadways, especially at dawn and dusk.
* Exercise caution in blind turns and watch for loose gravel.
For more information on West Virginia Motorcycle Safety, contact: State Program Provider 1-866-355-9399